Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Breaking News: SUDS!

So this morning before I got ready for work, I started my dishwasher because I needed clean bowls and spoons for dinner tonight. Once again, I have to go on record and say that I am a moron, and I should have seen this coming. Here is the problem. For some reason my dish scrubber decides that it doesn't like to hold the soap in its handle, and just leaks out into the sink through the scrubber end. So I had recently refilled my scrubber handle and placed it in a dirty bowl after I had used it. When I returned the next day about a third of the soap had leaked through the brush end and into the bowl. For some reason I didn't think I should wash this out. There is the back story. Back to this morning. I placed all the dishes into my dishwasher, including the bowl with a semi-large amount of dish soap still in it, put in the normal dishwasher soap, started the thing and started getting ready for work. I was about to leave, but as I reached to turn the light off in the kitchen I noticed the floor looked different. The entire kitchen floor (tile, thank god) was completely covered in about 4 inches deep of soap suds which were pouring from the dishwasher. Apparently, the excessive amount of soap in the dishwasher was a problem.

You may ask what I did to solve this problem. Well my oil-spill instincts kicked into gear and I grabbed an entire roll of paper towel, my two clean bath towels and made an absorbent barrier sectioning off the spill area. If there was a drowning duck in soap suds, I would have saved it too. Once the spill was under control, I went to work, because I needed to go and take a picture for all the co-ops at eight am, and then had to go buy a bucket, a mop, and a new towel. I eventually returned to my apartment to finish the job after purchasing the necessary items to find that I had forgotten to actually turn off the dishwasher, so there was just more soap suds in the kitchen. Once again, Me = moron.

The spill was eventually completely cleaned up, including moving the stove and cleaning under it, and moving the fridge and cleaning under it as well. Maybe this spill was the best thing that had happened so far because I needed to buy a mop for this floor, and it was getting pretty dirty. Now it smells clean and looks fantastic.

I had a fun moment in Wal-mart when the elderly man greeting me at the door said, "Thank you, Have a nice day sir," when I was the only person walking into the building. I got a chuckle out of the mis-phrased welcome, but I almost died laughing to myself when as I was walking out through the same door, the man said, "Hello, how are you today, sir?" I can't make this stuff up.

No comments: