Monday, January 18, 2010

Color My Life With the Chaos of Trouble

Welcome back. I've been thinking about re-upping my efforts blogging for awhile now, but I didn't really know where to go with it. I figured it would be beneficial to document the process of trying to discern what I am supposed to do with my life, while infusing it with the constant humor that is working in the service industry. Due to the change in pace, the title of this escapade has been changed away from the whimsical 'Soup De Jour' to something with a fair amount more seriousness (but not too much). I cannot say I will resist the urge to post the occasional YouTube video or LOL Cat…chances are I will regress quickly.

So what has changed in almost two years? A lot. I have graduated from college, and thus am deemed educated and ready to enter the real world. That remains to be seen but the pieces seem to be falling into place. The last year of college was a perfect end to that era of my life. Looking back it seems to contain all the ups and downs of the cliche college years. My fondest memories relate to my time with my roommates. We spent our waning hours that remained of college life watching Generation Kill, throwing a football (in the yard and the living room), cooking roommate dinners, throwing bottle caps, waking up hungover on Tuesdays, throwing cellphones against walls, eating each other's cookies, testing the bounds of our relationships, making friends, loosing girlfriends, grilling out in the back yard, smashing beer bottles against the garage, climbing trees, eating steak bombs, drunkenly sleeping outside, making messes, cleaning up those messes, watching our friends get engaged, living and dying with Marquette basketball, regretting choices made and opportunities missed, watching baseball, almost universally hating the cubs, playing video games, playing two-on-two living room basketball, avoiding brawls during intramural softball, procrastinating to a professional level, graduating with kids younger than us, graduating in the hospital, teaching, learning, and finally . . . saying goodbye. The four of us have literally gone our own separate ways, each residing in different states, pursuing different dreams. For a lack of better words to describe it . . . it was the best year of my life.

Moving away from that year to a post graduate life it has been a revolving door of possibilities. I have considered moving to D.C., Seattle, Portland, or Boston; considered becoming a research engineer, clinical engineer, biomedical technician, video game programmer, writer, physician's assistant, physical therapist, prosthetist, perfusionist, or a nurse. At this current point, the plan stands at entering school in the fall of 2011 to become a certified perfusionist. Till that point arrives I am trying to get a real job, away from the bar. I have a second interview at St. Luke's on Thursday, get to observe a perfusionist on Friday at St. Luke's, and hopefully move on. Six months from now where will I be . . . we'll just have to see what doors open up in the future.

Get it doors . . . yea it's cliche but I had the picture for the header already in my head . . . so we'll see.

And remember kids February 21st is approaching . . . support your local Brewers.

No comments: